Sunday, January 08, 2012

A Guide to Quality, Taste & Style by Tim Gunn & Kate Moloney (Harry N Abrams, 2007)

I know! It's a grown-up book! After my Materials for 'Tweens class ended last semester, I wanted to dig into my seemingly never-ending "to read" pile, and this seemed as a good a start as any. I tend to like style guides when I'm not feeling my best to help give me some ideas. As a fan of Project Runway and Tim Gunn, I figured this would be a fun, relaxing read to transition me into my winter break.

Sadly, I just didn't connect with this book. One failing that many "style guides" tend to have is that they are written for people with no concept of a budget. They try to circumvent this by exhorting readers to "invest" in one designer piece, but for most people reading this book, even that is too much to consider.

The overall tone of the book tends toward the high-handed, with hardly any of the wry humor that made Tim Gunn so popular on Project Runway. It was an overall disappointing read. I think I'll stick to the Chic Simple series, which visually presents style concepts and choices and allows readers to visualize more budget-conscious fashion choices.

No comments: