Thursday, November 13, 2008

It's the Little Victories.

So the day after I declare the I will lose 10 pounds by Christmas, I volunteer to help sort the candy sale packages at the boys' school. And the guy running the business gives us a box of pecan caramel turtles to thank us for our business. Nuts. Chocolate. Caramel. It's one of the combinations that makes this country sing. I slipped.

I came home and caught myself starting to munch thoughtlessly, because I was hungry and didn't have anything to warm up. But this time, rather than decide today was a lost day and push it off 'til tomorrow, I decided to make something. I pulled out a copy of Kraft Food & Family (the Fall 2005 issue) and made myself Rice, Broccoli & Cheese cups. Tasty! It's healthy, in that there is broccoli involved, but let's be clear - there's also a 1/4 cup of Ranch dressing (you can use light dressing, I just didn't have it in the fridge), two eggs, and 2/3 cup of shredded mozzarella cheese. But you know, I'd rather eat two of these for 240 calories than stuff my face with a bunch of chocolate bars that are easily double that plus all the guilt that follows, not to mention the fact that I'd still be hungry.

All in all, I love the recipe and will save the rest of these to warm up and eat during the week. The next time I make this, I'll make sure to have light Ranch dressing, part skim mozzarella cheese, and low sodium chicken broth in the house, but this was great in a pinch and filling enough to take the edge off my rumby tummy. And I feel good about myself, which is really the big battle these days. I'm thinking about trying this at some point using a vegetable broth (you cook the rice in chicken broth as opposed to water) for my veggie friends, because I think this may be right up Stacey's alley.

I'm so excited that I actually put the junk down rather than let the 'inner brat' dictate otherwise. On this rainy day, it gives me hope.

Back to the second sock for Mike's aunt... or maybe I should take advantage of my newfound energy and work out?

No comments: