Friday, March 10, 2006

Sleepy.

It's a beautiful spring day, my office is filled with light, and I'm sleepy. I feel like a cat, like I should curl up on the window sill here and fall asleep. I swear in my next life, I'm coming back as a cat.

I have to pick up US News & World Report, there are several really interesting publishing articles in there. James Frey's million little lies have thrown the industry into such a tizzy that it's unbelievable. I almost have to ask how much of a part Oprah plays in this, because I feel like her crusade to humiliate James Frey for embarrassing her has had repercussions throughout the industry. Oprah made herself a lightning rod, in my opinion - she was out there saying that she picks these books, and you should listen to her because she's freakin' OPRAH, for goodness sakes, and when it turned out like it did, she had a huge amount of egg on her face because all these housewives in Middle America were like, "Well, Oprah told me to read this, and it was a lie! We're going to have to do something about this!"

People, just pick up a book and read. The guy was fulla crap - I'm not condoning it, but for heaven's sake it isn't like we just found out that The Diary of Anne Frank was completely fabricated. It's a book - let it lead you wherever it wants to go, and when you're done with the journey either walk away from it or just look back and say, "Wow, that was good. I'd like to visit there again someday."

On another note, my friend Greg Herren's new book, Mardi Gras Mambo, is out! Hot cover, juicy story - check it out!

1 comment:

Stacey said...

As I said before on linda's blog... "Never trust a junkie..."