Friday, April 28, 2006

But this is $2.22...

So I go to Dunkin Donuts this morning for my coffee, having taken the E train which lets me off on 8th Avenue. The line is huge, but I decide that I can use the valuable time to clean out my wallet. Finally, I get to the counter, present my $1 coupon (thanks, Mom!) and ask for a large French Vanilla with milk and a Splenda. You with me so far?

She rings me up - $2.22. And stares at me. "$2.22, please."

I look at her and figure I'll start out polite. "Oh, I gave you a $1 coupon."

She stares blankly at me, so I gesture to the coupon, clearly marked $1 off, with the cute little Dunkin' Donuts logo and a coffee cup diecut on the coupon. She stares at it, looks at me, and says - wait for it - "But this is $2.22."

DID SHE THINK I WAS GIVING HER A PRESENT?

"Yes," I say, using my Mommy voice on her, "But if you take $1 off of that, wouldn't it be $1.22?"

She stares at me.

I give her $5.25 (to further rock her world), and somehow, she manages to give me $4.03 change. I leave, shaking my head and wondering about the hiring practices at Dunkin' Donuts.

6 comments:

Linda said...

At first I thought the coffee was hiked to $3.22 and with the coupon it was still $2.22, then I realized they're not that expensive..I love the Dunkin Donuts by me on Yellowstone, but geez, probably my ipod chick would have a good shot at a job there...:)

God though, do I love Dunkin Donuts coffee...

You have to look in those bulk coupon mail envelopes, while most of em are junk, now and again they'll have DD coupons, which are pretty generous.

Linda said...

Did you notice all your coffee-related Google links popped up?

Roe said...

hahahaha... the power of advertising...

Roe said...

Those Val-Pack envelopes also have good Carvel coupons once in a while, too.

Stacey said...

I never get the val-packs anymore...

Roe said...

My mail carrier leaves them in a bunch on the windowsill by the mailboxes. That's when I know it's not Richie, my reliable mailman.