Wednesday, October 17, 2007

I Got A Vickie Howell Shout-Out!

If you don't know who Vickie Howell is, get off this blog. Nah, just kidding. ;-) Anyway, Vickie Howell is the ultra-cool host of one of my DIY addictions - actually, the reason I became addicted to DIY - Knitty Gritty. She's also one of the hosts of Stylelicious, where you can learn to make cool stuff like tote bags out of duct tape. Check it out if you get a chance.

Anyway, I LOVE Knitty Gritty and Vickie Howell rocks. I've been reading her blog for a little while, and it turns out, she's going to start podcasting - like I needed more knitting stuff to do on the Web. :-) She's asking fellow bloggers to promote the link, so I link to the podcast (Look to your right. See the icon? Awesome.) and let the webmaster know. And I got a shoutout! I am so psyched!

In other news, still knitting secret stuff like crazy. But I'm also re-knitting Blanket. Need a refresher on the Saga of Blanket?

When Alex was first born, I crocheted him a blanket from this great light cotton yarn. Which I promptly forgot (okay, it wasn't prompt, it was like 10 months later) at a friend's house and I've yet to get back. Grr.

So I set out to make Alex another blanket. I got the same yarn - I believe it's Sugar & Cream, or something like that - I have to check the label, which is home and I'm typing this up at work. Anyway. I got the yarn in a really nice blue, white and yellow variegated, and made the Big Bad Baby Blanket from my Knitting Bible, Stitch & Bitch. Alex loves it. I mean, LOVES it. It is named Blanket, and he's like a miniature Linus. He can't sleep without it, travel without it, anything. Blanket is there. He wouldn't even potty train unless he was holding Blanket.

One day, about a year ago, Blanket started to unravel. So I checked it out, figuring I'd just stitch up the loose end or something. Oh, no. Blanket was literally wearing away in spots. I took custody of it, hoping to fix it and give it back within a week. No good. Blanket is now occupying a spot where I keep Will's & Alex's baby clothes, delicately wrapped in its own Blanket.

I knit up another blanket for Alex, this time with a worsted weight, blue yarn. No good. It wasn't Blanket. For over a year, I've heard about how he misses Blanket.

So finally, I go and get more yarn. Blanket Yarn. All I had to do was flash Alex the ball of yarn and he jumped up and yelled, "BLANKET!"

I'm about 2/3 of the way through Blanket, and realize I need more yarn. Gar. But at least Blanket's in progress. He may be a UFO for now (unfinished object), but he'll be done. Soon. And that's one picture I can post!

No comments: