Friday, November 09, 2007

Rockin' with Vickie Howell

So this morning, I was seized with the impulse to finally download the Vickie Howell Craft. Rock. Listen. Podcasts. At 7:15 in the morning, when I'm normally rushing around like a lunatic to get myself and the kids out the door to school completely dressed and with lunch. You know me; when I get the urges, I've got to give in. For some reason, I decided that my commute would just be detrimental to another person's health if I didn't have something to keep me Zen.

I only got to listen to one episode - the Sustainabilknitty podcast, with Billie Joe Armstrong's (from Green Day) wife, Adrienne, but it was great. I loved hearing about how she's teaching her kids and their classes to knit, and how she and Billie Joe are all about being as environmentally conscious as humanly possible. Vickie Howell chimed in and both offered some ideas for working with sustainable crafting materials (organic fibers and recycled materials); I particularly loved Vickie's suggestion on raiding thrift stores for old clothes to repurpose and old glasses that can find new life as candle holders.

I also loved Adrienne's insight into how disposable a society we've become, and how important it is to take the time to make things and show the people we care about that we took the time to make something just for them.

I've downloaded another Vickie podcast, so I'm psyched to listen to that on the way home. And now, I'll be wandering the Web looking for more interesting podcasts. Hey, it cuts down on my commute rage.

2 comments:

Stacey said...

Sustainabillity is becoming a huge isssue here at work lately too...

Roe said...

It was a great podcast, not only about knitting. I can send it to you if you want, or you can download it on iTunes for free.

Did you check out my previous post on Alex and The Ramones?